The Faculty of Mining and Metallurgy is one of the leading academic units of Mi- ning Institute. It was opened simulta- neously with Frunze Polytechnic Institute in 1954. The faculty trains engineers – technolo- gists, developers of ground and open mi- ning minerals, mining mechanical engine- ers, electro-mechanics, engineers and specialists on blasting work for mining industry in the Kyrgyz Republic and the CIS. There are four departments in the faculty:
- Ground geological prospecting;
- Open mining and explosive works;
- Mining Electrical Engineering;
- Geodesy and Mine Surveying.